Prof. dr. Heidi Vander BauwhedeProfessorGhent UniversityDept. Accounting, Corporate Finance & Taxation
Heidi Vander Bauwhede holds a PhD from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium). In the first half of 2005 she was a visiting scholar at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Her main research interests are in corporate reporting (earnings quality and characteristics), corporate governance (board structure, audit quality and audit committees), and performance evaluation. She has published in various international journals including: Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Corporate Governance: An International Review, and European Accounting review. Her current work focuses on audit committee selection and monitoring, the consequences of high-quality reporting for debt financing and the impact of politics on corporate performance and decision making.
Research on the determinants and consequences of audit quality, corporate governance, and corporate reporting and performance.
- EARNet Best Paper Award, Second Symposium of the European Auditing Research Network (EARNet), Manchester (U.K.), Oct. 31-Nov. 1 for the paper: Willekens M., Vander Bauwhede H., Gaeremynck A., 2003, Voluntary audit committee formation and practices among Belgian listed companies.
- The paper Voluntary disclosure on corporate governance in the European Union by Heidi Vander Bauwhede and Marleen Willekens was selected as one of the best contributions to the EIASM Corporate Governance Workshop in Brussels, November 4-5, 2004.
- Member of the European Auditing Research Network (EARNet)
- Member of the European Accounting Association (EAA)
- Member of the American Accounting Association (AAA)
Editorial boards and refereeing
- Ad-hoc review for various international peer-reviewed journals including Auditing: A journal of Practice and Theory and the European Accounting Review